Nina M. Parker
NINA M. PARKER is the founder of the firm of Parker & Associates, a full service law firm. Ms. Parker has been a member of the bar since 1981 practicing in the areas of personal and corporate bankruptcy as well as many aspects of business and corporate law. In 2012, Ms. Parker was named one of the Massachusetts Top 50 women lawyers by New England Super Lawyers and one of the Top 100 Massachusetts lawyers by Massachusetts Super Lawyers. She has been named a Super Lawyer since 2007 and has been selected as a Best Lawyer by Best Lawyers In America and her firm has been included as a Best Law Firm by U.S. News and World Report since 2010 as well as named in The Best Lawyers in America® in the practice areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation – Bankruptcy for 2011 and 2012.
Since 2002 Ms. Parker has been certified by the American Board of Certification in Consumer Bankruptcy. Ms. Parker concentrates in the areas of consumer and corporate bankruptcies, specializing in small business and individual Chapter 11 reorganizations and Chapter 13 wage earner plans. Ms. Parker is a highly experienced bankruptcy practitioner and has an extensive debtors’ practice. Ms. Parker has worked tirelessly over the years to provide individualized solutions to problems arising as a result financial distress. Her philosophy is that all people are entitled to caring and compassionate representation.
Ms. Parker has worked with banks to resolve issues surrounding secured and unsecured claims, enabling them to maximize recovery from insolvent debtors. Ms. Parker has represented family owned and closely held businesses as well as assisted in the formation of Limited Liability Corporations and Limited Liability Partnerships.
Ms. Parker volunteers her time to a number of organizations and boards. In the 2012-2013 year she is serving as the Co-chair of the Consumer Bankruptcy Section of the American Bankruptcy Institute, and is a member of the United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Massachusetts Attorney Advisory Committee for the Local Rules, the United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Massachusetts Pro Bono Legal Services Advisory Committee, and the United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Massachusetts Diversity Task Force. Ms. Parker also currently is the co- chair of the Boston Bar Association Bankruptcy Section Diversity Initiative Working Group and serves as a member of the Boston Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service Review Committee. Ms. Parker also regularly participates in trainings in conjunction with the Dana Farber Cancer Institute/FPA MA.
Ms. Parker has served as the Bankruptcy Section co-chair of the Boston Bar Association (2009-2011), the co-chair of the Consumer Bankruptcy Committee for the Section (2005-2007), co-chair of the ad hoc BAPCPA Consumer Committee (2007), and the co-chair of the Continuing Legal Education Committee (2008-2009). Ms. Parker also served as the co-chair of the ABI Winter Northeast Consumer and Litigation Skills Forum (2009-2010), as the co-chair of the ABI Northeast Consumer Bankruptcy Forum (2006 to 2010) and as the Membership Relations Director of the American Bankruptcy Institute (2010-2012).
Ms. Parker has lectured frequently including for the Boston Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bankers Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, New England School of Law, the Flaschner Institute and the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges on small business and individual reorganization options as well as consumer and business bankruptcy issues. Some of the presentations include serving as program chair of Fighting Predatory Lending in the Trenches (2008), program chair Third Anniversary BAPCPA Special (2008) Moderator of Legal and Ethical Issues in Bankruptcy Law (2009), Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education programs including the Bankruptcy Law Conference (2007) and Bankruptcy Law 2012- Consumer Panel on Chapter 13 Plans, Advising Businesses on Bankruptcy & Restructuring (2009) and Keeping the Family Home & Avoiding Foreclosure (2009), Bankruptcy: An Overview (2009-2012) Amendments to Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure for Proofs of Claim (2012) , American Bankruptcy Institute Northeast Consumer Forum, Recent Rule Changes Affecting Chapter 13 Practice(2012).
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Bankruptcies
- Small Business
- Individual Chapter 11 Reorganizations
- Chapter 13 Wage Earner Plans
Certified Legal Specialties
- Consumer Bankruptcy, American Board of Certification
- Massachusetts, 1981
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- New England School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- Washington University, St. Louis
- Speaker at ABI Northeast Conference & Consumer Forum Mount Washington Hotel & Resort, July 12-15, 2012
- Speaker at ABI Northeast Winter Consumer Conference January 17, 2012
- Lecturer, Boston Bar Association
- Lecturer, Massachusetts Bankers Association
- Lecturer, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Lecturer, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
- Lecturer, New England School of Law
- Lecturer, Flaschner Institute
Honors and Awards
- Named Massachusetts Super Lawyer 2007-2012
- Named New England Super Lawyer 2007-2012
- Named Massachusetts Top 50 Women Lawyers 2012
- Named Massachusetts Top 100 Lawyers 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Boston Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section , Chair
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Co-Chair
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Best Lawyers 2012
- Best Law Firms 2012
- Super Lawyers 2012
- District of MA United States Bankruptcy Court Attorney Advisory Board
- District of MA United States Bankruptcy Court Pro Bono Legal Services Advisory Board
- District of MA United States Bankruptcy Court Diversity Initiative Task Force